The world is busy and chaotic, especially for young adults and teens. It can be hard to cope with the constant stressors that life throws our way. That’s why it’s important to know when it’s time to seek out crisis intervention services. Crisis interventions are an often overlooked form of therapy and support that can provide invaluable assistance in times of need.
Imagine Boise offers crisis intervention services for young adults and teens ages 12-17 and their families in Boise, Idaho. Call 208.487.8260 or reach out to us online today to access the care and support you need.
Understanding Crisis Intervention
Crisis intervention is a form of short-term support that helps people in crisis situations manage their emotions and assess possible solutions to their problems. It can be used for both individuals and families who are struggling with the effects of an acute event or traumatic experience, providing them with the necessary skills to better cope with their situation.
Examples of situations that warrant crisis intervention can include:
- Any threats to life or physical safety, such as suicide attempts, self-injury, and violence toward others
- Significant mental health symptoms that interfere with the ability to function in everyday life
- Significant changes in behavior that impede a person’s functioning or are potentially dangerous to themselves or others
- Severe and/or prolonged symptoms of a mental health condition, such as depression, anxiety, and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Substance abuse issues that put the individual at risk
- A traumatic event or experience that has overwhelmed the individual’s ability to cope
- A major life transition or crisis, such as a job loss, divorce, death of a loved one, natural disaster, etc.
- Significant changes in functioning that interfere with essential activities of daily living
When dealing with a person in crisis, it is important to remember that each individual is unique. Therefore, the approach taken will be different with each case, as there is no one-size-fits-all solution when it comes to intervention. That said, some common strategies used in crisis intervention include providing emotional support and practical advice, along with helping people identify available resources and options for further assistance.
Benefits of Crisis Interventions
Crisis interventions have the potential to help people address and cope with difficult situations in an effective and timely manner. It can provide a sense of support, relieve stress, reduce anxiety, and improve overall psychological well-being.
Some of the key benefits that crisis interventions provide include:
- Reduced stress – Crisis interventions can help individuals manage and reduce their stress levels, which can lead to improved overall mental health.
- Increased support system – Crisis interventions can provide a sense of support and reassurance during difficult times. This support system can be incredibly beneficial for individuals who are struggling to cope with a traumatic experience or overwhelming emotion.
- Improved communication skills – Crisis interventions can help individuals learn how to better communicate their thoughts and feelings, which can help provide clarity and reduce the likelihood of misunderstandings.
- Increased self-awareness – Crisis interventions can also help individuals gain greater insight into themselves and their behaviors. This level of awareness can help people make more informed decisions going forward in order to achieve their goals.
- Enhanced problem-solving skills – Crisis interventions can help individuals identify their strengths and weaknesses, as well as provide them with the tools necessary to develop better problem-solving skills. This can then be applied to future problems they may face.
- Improved coping strategies – Crisis interventions can also help individuals develop more effective coping strategies for managing difficult situations in a healthier way. This could include learning how to take steps towards reducing stress, managing emotions, and engaging in self-care.
- Improved sense of well-being – Crisis interventions can provide people with a greater sense of control over their lives and circumstances, which can result in improved psychological well-being. This could include increased confidence, improved relationships, and an overall outlook on life that is more positive.
Overall, crisis interventions can be incredibly beneficial for individuals who are facing difficult circumstances and experiences. It can provide them with the support they need to better manage their situation in healthy and productive ways. With the proper guidance, people can gain greater insight into themselves and their behaviors, ultimately leading to increased quality of life.
Get More Information About Crisis Intervention Services at Imagine Boise
When it comes to helping teens in crisis, action must be taken fast. Knowing when and how to intervene can be the difference between a successful outcome and a tragedy. It is important for parents, teachers, health professionals, and other adult caregivers to identify signs of distress or mental health concerns in young people as soon as possible.